Friday, January 27, 2012

Bed side Reading~~~

Well Darlings, after all of that heavy work we need something a bit lighter.

Ordinarily Darlings, I don’t often recommend books to read unless its periodicals or books dealing with finance, but with such cold, cold weather and I do mean cold darlings, one really wants to just snuggle up in a nice warm blanket with a cup of hot coco, in front of a blazing fireplace, with good soft music, (I love Ella Fitzgerald myself) and a really good read.

Here are several that I found fascinating on the Non-fiction front.

In the Garden of Beasts: Love, terror, and an American Family in Hitler’s Berlin by Erik Larson, what a frightening time for them.

Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic conversations of life with John F. Kenned; interview with Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., 1964 by Michael Beschloss, my goodness I love her thoughts, she was not a brainless twit as some people would try to paint her, and I would love to read Michelle Obama’s thoughts on paper as well, considering some of the looks that she delivers during certain moments.

Killing Lincoln by Bill O’Reilly & Martin Dugard, amazing how events turned on this one horrible act.

And for spiritual uplifting reading “Heaven is for real” by Todd Burpo w/ Lynn Vincent, I found myself in tears reading this.

On the Fiction front well I have to confess Darlings I do have my favorites.

With the new Stephanie Plum movie coming out I am re-reading “One for the Money” as well as Janet Evanovich’s latest “Explosive Eighteen”, laughs, laughs and I wish it could be made for T.V. ala “Columbo” it would be a hit.

Sue Grafton never fails to entertain me with her “V is for Vengeance” she still has x, y, and z to go.

I’m including Sandra Brown’s “Lethal” and Lee Child’s “the Affair: a Reacher Novel, and I’ve always adored John Grisham and he does still do justice with “The Litigators, as does James Patterson’s two books with two different collaborators “The Christmas wedding” and “Kill me if you can”

Of course Kathryn Stockett’s book “The Help” is also a fun and eye opening read.

One book that I would recommend as very serious reading on the investment and financial front as well as American history is “That Used to be Us: How America fell behind in the world it invented and how we can come back” by Thomas L. Friedman & Michael Mandelbaum. Not for a cozy winter read but for serious reflection.

And when I say cold Darlings I do mean cold. Juanita and I worried about our small family of ducks that like to, on occasion nest under my plants, so I asked Manuel to build a small shelter and we put bedding hay for them, I was please to see that they took advantage of it ever since it started turning very cold and especially when the weather dropped to near freezing.

Juanita and I covered the more delicate plants with blankets for protection and I threw an old rug on top of the shelter for more insulation. For the last few extremely cold weeks I saw them taking advantage of its protection all snuggled together and Juanita and I put out duck chow for them in large plastic bowls that they partook of. I had to keep Princess in so as to not disturb them.

And Princess my little 4 legged Diva Darling, was so cold even with her sweater on that she begged me to come to my bed, so with a special flannel blanket for her she slept with “Mommy”. Even as I write this I have a heating pad on her chair, set on low so she will not take a chill.

With the weather taking such a freezing dip our walks have not been very long, just a quick dash down about a block and then back. She did learn that we have those special doggie pads on the garage floor all she has to do is just scratch the door, go there quickly and do her business on them. I have a special bin to put the used pad into to dispose of.

And bit by bit we are learning more about drafts and doing some work to eliminate them.

It’s times like these where it is soooo much better to fall back on using flannel pajamas as well as flannel sheets and pillow case and thick warm fuzzy wuzzy slippers. I know darlings, not glamouriest or divaiest, but you’ll be at your warmest.

And speaking of warm, well Darlings, I did run out of the Pumpkin spice liquid creamer but I still have my Pumpkin Spice tea, and it feels so good going down into my tummy (sorry Darling I know that sounds so too-too). But it is the feel good thing I’m going for, and at night when it is fine to use the fireplace I still burn candles for a sense of feeling warm, there is something so cozy about it.

In a few days when Juanita and I go shopping I’m going to get the Hazelnut liquid creamer as we head slowly into spring, which I can hardly wait for.

Until Anon Darlings, Kisses.

No comments: