Friday, July 19, 2013

Early Christmas Shopping

Well Darlings,


This Diva has been having some fun. I went to the Art Deco's Society's "Deco the Hall's" event earlier this month and just had a ball. Irma and Bill were with me, again we traveled in Bill's Packard. She had to look for some clothing for herself and Bill for an auto club event that is happening in the Spring.


I think I have more fun just looking at things, than buying but I wanted a desk that would just right for my little library, in my home (I couldn't bring Princess with me, no furry diva darlings allowed ***pout***).


And I found it, a blonde wood art moderne desk with matching chair, just the right size and there were matching glass enclosed book cases. So I bought it, and made arrangements to have it delivered. I just could not belive my luck!


And there is this marvelous lady whose speciality is luggage, Irma and Bill were just thrilled!


Needless to say Yes Darlings I spent money, but I was surprised at the price being so affordable in this world of collectables and antiques.


And then I saw it---a painting that I thought was lost forever---I have to confess in my wild youth, there was a young painter who painted me in the "Soft Cubeizem" style of Tamara de Leimpika, and there it was in my blonde glory in the midnight blue evening gown. I wanted the painting and my father said he would pay for it, but this artist said that it was not for sale and disappeared.


I asked the person who was selling it where did it come from and he said an estate in New York, an artist that did very decent portraits. I told the gentleman that there should be on the back of the canvas a date and I gave him the date and my name. He, with some assistance took the painting down and looked and it was there, so he asked me how did I know and I said "I am the lady that the artist painted".


The look on this man's face was so precious, he said that when he saw me that I looked familar to him but he didn't place it until I was side by side with the painting. We talked price over and came to an agreeable figure and he would deliver the painting personally.


It now hangs in my living room, I have to confess it does dominate the room, but he had it very handsomely framed, and I am so glad after all these years that it was well taken care of and it's home with me.


Irma and I collected business cards as well so we can make appointments with some of the dealers, many operate from their homes although there are some that have stores, but we were happy.


Although Princess was a little miffed that she had to be left behind, but I made it up to her. (alright yes I do spoil her).


Last Thursday, Juanita was very sad and I asked her why, she said she was planning to go shopping with her daughter but her daughter Constance had come down with a cold. I was concerned because I care for Juanita and her family and although most of her children live in San Jose, Constance and her husband live nearby. I asked Juanita if she had her flu and pnumonia shot and she said she did, so I told her to go and check on her daughter to see if she needed anything and take care of her.


Well last night Juanita told me that all Constance needs is rest, and Manuel is doing very well, but Constance was just too miserable to go shopping with her Mother to get things for the children. So I asked Juanita if she had the list of what Constance wanted to get and she did, she was hoping if I could spare her so she could shop, but her car for some reason didn't want to start.


So I said "Juanita, you know I love to shop---we'll go in Ms. Wicked and then tomorrow call the mechanic to have him come and tow your car and get it fixed---don't worry about the bill!"


O.K. Darlings---now why did I do this---Juanita has given me many years of excellent assistance, and I know that she gives a good deal of her money to her family, I did not want her to be worried with a bill, it's a wise Diva that knows that to help out one's staff, it helps them in the long run.


Well today I had fun at Target and WalMart---and it was nice to discover handy little storage things for one's closet and office---but Ms. Wicked was just crowded with gifts for the grandchildren---and wrapping paper, ribbon, tags, and yes we needed lots of tape and two sissors.


And tomorrow after Juanita's car is at the repair shop we are off again----even Juanita was laughing---espeically since we are going to hide all the presents in my garage ***even I am giggling at the thought***


So we ordered Chinese take out (I mean Possums during the Holidays who has time to cook) and we were wrapping presents---taking a little break---tomorrow we will wrap some more, shop and wrap even more.


And so for now I'm going to stretch out and watch a Nick and Nora Charles movie with Princess who has been having fun tearing up bows, Juanita is in her robe and her fuzzy slippers, and made huge steaming cups of hot chocolate for the both of us, so for now it's relaxing time Darlings.


All of you have a Happy Holiday season, and be sure to take your vitamins.

No comments: